Laventille/ Morvant ‘Future Growers Project’
Port of Spain, Trinidad. 8th November, 2017. The Member of Parliament (MP) for the Laventille East/Morvant Constituency in collaboration with the Women in Action for the Needy and Destitute (WAND), the House of Angostura and the University of the West Indies, has launched a project called the “Future Growers project”, where children in primary schools in the area are given the skills and tools to learn how to grow their own food. This is geared toward introducing and reinforcing the values that can be gained by growing their own food, from the perspectives of revenue generation, financial savings and the health benefits that can be derived. Eight (8) Primary schools in the area were targeted for this initiative.
- Malick Girls R.C School
- Morvant Epiphany Anglican School
- Morvant New Government School
- St Dominic’s RC School
- Lower Morvant Government School
- Hockett Baptist School
- Success RC School
- Chinapoo Government Primary School
- promote the importance of the agricultural sector in our primary schools;
- Create, facilitate and stimulate the interest of future growers by providing a launching pad for young ‘agri-preneurs’;
- Teach children the value of growing their own food: both from a financial and nutritional perspective;
- Foster home gardening as a sustainable avenue for reducing a family’s food bill and also to earn additional revenue.